Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Into The Woods


These are two of the original pieces from my first interpretation of the Into The Woods brief we received during the first year of my Graphic Design HND. The idea was that we had to design a poster, programme cover, invitation and postcard set for a Tramway Theatre production of Into The Woods, using 1950s graphic design, and in particular the works of Saul Bass, as a basis.

Looking back, I'm not quite as happy with them as I once was, as I think the use of dark tones constrasting with the bright white may be slightly overdone, and the tree on the main poster did turn out looking more Christmas Treeish than I'd originally planned, but I don't think they're hideously ineffective, and I'm still impressed that I managed to draw my own font in Adobe Illustrator and put every element of the project together after little more than a few weeks of using the software.

I tend to be something of a Photoshop monkey, but working on this project showed me that Illustrator can, and does, have its uses.