Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Mock Turtle



"A new retail opportunity has arisen, selling take away food from an old Police Call Box, located on Buchanan Street, in Glasgow’s city centre. The outlet will supply a small range of organically grown, freshly cut sandwiches & hot soup. Decide on a name and produce a brand identity for this new soup & sandwich outlet."

This is my take on the instructions given above. The majority of branding I've seen for outlets selling "organic" produce has always been a little bit too literal in its interpretation of the product, using names, imagery and themes that reference the organic message just a bit too heavily, and in too clichéd a style for my liking. I've always been of the belief that British consumers are savvy enough to get the organic message without having to be bludgeoned over the head with it, and with that in mind, I decided to take a more playful approach, and think I managed to produce something just a little bit cheeky and playful, and removed from the clichéd approach that is often taken with organic goods. I'll admit that I did make one concession to the cliché, and that was the use of green, but as Turtles are green anyway, I didn't really have much of a problem with it.